Saturday, June 17, 2017

My Husband Deserves to be Celebrated Too

      Earlier this month while talking about fathers day somebody asked me why I would get my husband anything for fathers day this year when he clearly isn't a father. While he may not be a father yet,  he is preparing and has been preparing for fatherhood for a long time.  And he will be the father of our future children. In my eyes,  he still deserves to be celebrated.
      Parenthood is kind of a touchy subject for me sometimes. This month marks one year since we stopped using birth control and started trying to have a baby. Had we been successful in our efforts,  my husband would be a daddy. Mothers day was hard for me for this reason,  and though he doesn't show it like I do,  I'm sure my husband is struggling in a way too.
      He wants to be a dad, I know he does.  He was so excited when we stopped the birth control and started trying to have a baby.  Immediately he became a dad in my eyes as he started to prepare us for parenthood. As he started sacrificing what he may want now, for the sake of our future family. We bought a house, he traded in his dream car for a truck. We started watching closer where we spent our money and made room for a baby in our budget. He changed his priorities to better fit a family and I will forever be grateful for that.
      He has stood by my side through this whole journey as we try to have a baby. He is so understanding when I get emotional or angry or just crazy because of the hormone supplements I am on. And when it  gets hard and I break down, he is there for me. He holds me when I cry. He encourages me to talk about it when I start to feel down. This infertility journey has been hard on both of us, but he has been supportive and helpful the whole time.
      Sometimes I feel bad that he has to go through this too. In my eyes, no one deserves to be a father more than him. But yet, somehow he got stuck with a wife who has PCOS and a hard time conceiving. And he still loves me. Never once has he blamed any of this on me or even gotten frustrated with me about it. He makes the best of the situation that we're in. And I appreciate him so much for it because I need that optimism in our life. And I know it will benefit our children in the future to have a dad who is so patient, understanding, and loving as my husband is.
      THIS is why I'm choosing to celebrate my husband on fathers day this year. Regardless of whether or not we have kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment