Wednesday, July 26, 2017

How It All Began

High school is hard.  My senior year I was pretty fed up with it.  I had lost a handful of friends due to some pretty stupid drama and I often felt pretty alone. I felt abandoned. Useless. Its safe to say I was depressed. I didn't think I was good at anything or that I was pretty enough for anyone. I was just stuck. I never felt like doing anything or going anywhere. I just went to school, work, and home. Where I spent most of my time locked in my room alone.
That December one of my friends told me that for new year's eve we were going to go on a girls choice date.  I told her I didn't wanna go and I didn't know who I would ask.  She pretty much told me that she would find a date for me, one of her cousins friends,  if I didn't find one myself.  After I asked 3 different guys, being rejected by each one I told her I didn't want to go.  She told me to ask one more person. "How about Dalton?" This took me by surprise because just a year ago she had told me not to ask Dalton on a date because he was too much like a brother to her and it would be weird.
So I got his phone number from the ward directory and called.  He didn't answer. In fact,  it said the phone number was disconnected. I went back to my friend telling her I gave up, but she was persistent. She messaged him on Facebook and told him to call me. When he did I sheepishly asked him to go on this date with me. I had already been rejected three times, why should I expect this time to be any different? To my surprise, he said yes. And not only did he say yes, he seamed eager to go on this date.
The next day I woke up with more optimism and excitement than I had felt in a long time. Never for a second did I think that this date would change my life forever, I was just looking forward to a night spent out with a few friends and one of the cutest boys from high school.
The date turned into the BEST DATE EVER up to that point. From the minute he got in the car with us I could just tell he was special. The way he looked at me made my heart melt. He actually treated me like I was worth something. More so than any other guy had. Dinner didn't go quite as planned because we didn't take into consideration that some places might close early on New Years, so instead of eating at the food court in City Creek, we ate from the deli at Harmon's. He offered to pay, and I let him. I got chicken tender, he got salmon. We snuck away from the group for a minute to get hot chocolate from the little cafe in Harmon's. Everybody else in our group seamed awkward, but I felt like Dalton and I just clicked. We raced to get to the front of the line while we walked around Temple Square. We talked about zombies and The Walking Dead. I couldn't believe how easy it was to have fun and be myself around him.
After getting lost in Ogden and finally making it back to our little hometown we all went to the multi-stake dance. And our date kind of unofficially ended. Dalton found a group of friends he had when he was in high school and I jumped between groups of friends avoiding the friend who had caused so much drama in my life at that time. We all just kind of did our own thing. Around the end, just before midnight Dalton came back and danced with me, giving me the last dance of the night.
At midnight I stood with one of my best friends in the middle of the gym while balloons fell and everyone was blowing horns and welcoming in the new year. And for a minute, in the midst of my hardest year of high school, everything was okay. I felt pretty for once. I had just gone on the best date of my life with great guy! And at that point in time, I knew that 2013 was going to be a year. Things were going to be different. Things were going to get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment