Friday, May 5, 2017

You've Changed

    "You've Changed"... Its a phrase I've heard over and over in the last couple months. Especially since returning to the job I had prior to getting married. Several of my coworkers, friends, and a few family members have recently pointed out that I've changed a lot since I've gotten married and that I'm not as fun anymore. Well, I don't know about not being as much fun as I used to be, maybe I just express my fun in ways they aren't used to recognizing. But I know I've changed. News Flash: Marriage changes you!
   It's not just about me anymore. Now everything is about us. And about doing what is best for our little family. There's no room to be selfish anymore because I need to put my husband before myself, and anyone else. And he does the same for me. Before I was married I useds to pick up any and every shift possible at work. Now, I ask for his permision before taking an extra day or working a double. He has needs too, and sometimes we just need time to be together. Especially if we both get a day off together, because that definetly doesn't happen as often as we would like. I respect when he would rather me stay home with him. If I have housework piling up, I going to work hard to get some of that done so my husband doesn't have to work quite so hard when he comes home from a long night at work.
    My priorities have shifted. Instead of just trying to make as much money as I possibly can and worrying about what I am going to do with my friends this weekend, I am now focused on starting a family, doing everything I can to make my husband happy and his life easier, and strengthening our relationship. Believe it or not, money is nowhere near as important as continually improving our relationship and spending quality time together. While I used to be open to a girls night just about any night, I now try to save them for nights my husband is at work. Because when he is home I'd rather be with him. As a result, we spend more time with married friends rather than single friends because we can both be there and both have fun. No offense to our single friends, this is just how things have happened.
    I am more focused on building our life. We want to continually progress in every way we can.We're working on remodeling the house we just bought, we still have a lot of unpacking to do, and just working on shaping the future we want for us and our children. My commitment to my little family will always be infinitly more important than whatever else may be going on. We support eachother through job changes, schooling opportunities, and any trials we may be experiencing at the time. And we will continue to do so.
    I see myself differently. Yes, I've gained a little weight, like most people do when they settle down, get comfortable with someone, and get married. But my husband is constantly reassuring me everyday that I'm cute and perfect. He calls me his pretty girl and always asks me how I got to be so beautiful. He tells me daily how much he loves looking into my eyes. He makes a special effort to make sure I feel loved and appreciated. It has definitely changed the way I view myself for the better. It makes me want to lose a little weight, go to the gym, and be happy and healthy. Not just for myself, but also because I want to be the best me possible for him.
    So you see, I have changed. I am very much aware of this. But I don't see it all as being bad. In fact, I think a lot of good has come from marrying my best friend. I am more mature, I've had to grow up a lot, and I've gained a lot of confidence in myself. I love myself more now than I have in a long time. My husband is helping to shape me into the woman God wants me to be, and I'm loving this ride we're on. Yes I've changed, but does change always have to be seen as a bad thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment